Owlet is growing and on the search for an experienced and dynamic engineer to lead efforts in product and supplier quality.
Owlet’s Quality Engineer will use their experience, expertise, and resourcefulness to identify analyze and solve problems, develop goals and objectives to meet short-term and some long-term quality goals.
The QE will also lead team focused on quality management in a contract manufacturing setup, working to monitor supplier performance, and drive improvements to reduce the number of defects and Cost of Quality.
This role will also support product quality management through design and development process driving FMEA, DFM, test development and other tools to ensure product integrity and ensure a world class customer experience.
Supplier Quality Responsibilities:
- Ownership of supplier management process and results for approx. 10-15 global suppliers and contract manufacturing facilities with a strong focus on continuous improvement of systems
- Develop a robust supplier quality system including incoming/in-process/outgoing inspection requirements, yield tracking and reporting, CAPA systems, supplier scorecards, and supplier audit schedules
- Work closely with Asia quality resources to manage supplier audits, and maintain supplier score cards to drive improvements for quality, cost, service, and delivery
- Maintain appropriate quality database and report supplier performance on a monthly basis
- Work with suppliers to assure “zero defect” performance through root cause evaluation and driving corrective actions using tools such as 8D, FMEA and control plans
- Drive supplier selection through robust qualification processes and assist in qualification of production line, fixtures and go-no gages at CM and supplier locations
- Work effectively with product, engineering, and supply chain management teams to eliminate any barriers that may affect the quality and delivery of sourced components
Design Quality Responsibilities:
- Support the establishment and maintenance of design and development plans in support of quality and compliance for program(s) and project(s) assigned
- Work closely with product development engineering, clinical, marketing, regulatory, and other business partners to assure appropriate quality requirements are defined
- Lead DFM, FMEA, test development and other activities to meet performance and regulatory requirements
- Participate in the review of clinically relevant test methods, design verification and validation test plans and results
- Trouble shoot quality related issues, conduct root case analysis, and recommend appropriate corrective action plans
- Develop systems and measurements to highlight opportunities for improvement throughout the company—product quality, service quality, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering required
- Minimum 3+ years of relevant quality experience in the consumer, automotive, aerospace, or medical devices industry
- Medical device, IOT experience preferred
- Previous experience with managing supplier relationships
- ASQ and/or Six Sigma Black Belt certifications preferred
- Working knowledge of Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- Working knowledge of quality management systems (ISO13485)
- Must be proficient in MS Office
- Six Sigma/Process Excellence tools training and/or certification is preferred
- Strong problem solving and facilitation skills
- Exceptional written and oral communications
- Strong attention to details and ability to work independently
- Experience in communicating with cross functional team members and suppliers
- Must be able to travel 10-15%